Born: December 18, 1946, Ohio, US | Successful For: Director, Film Producer | Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
“You have many years ahead of you to create the dreams that we can’t even imagine dreaming. You have done more for the collective unconscious of this planet than you will ever know.”
– Steven Spielberg
Inner Keys to Success:
- DO SOMETHING YOU COULD NOT LIVE WITHOUT DOING: Steven Spielberg has a very strong desired passion for what he does. As a preteen, Spielberg made amateur 8 mm “adventure” films with his friends and he even charged admission to his home movies (which involved wrecking the stage with his Lionel train set) while his sister sold popcorn. He always had a love and fascination for the movie industry. At the age of 12 he became a Boy Scout and this was where his first production was complete. He made a nine-minute 8 mm film entitled The Last Gunfight including a script and actors. By the young age of 13, Spielberg won a prize for a 40-minute war movie he titled Escape to Nowhere. And at 16, his 140-minute production of Firelight was shown in a local movie theatre and brought in $100 profit.
- MAKE INTUITIVE DECISIONS, EVEN IF IT DOESN’T PAY IN THE SHORT-RUN:Steven Spielberg made decisions based on intuition which always leads to more success. After some schooling at the California State University he returned to Universal Studios as an unpaid, seven-day-a-week intern and guest of the editing department.As an intern and guest of Universal Studios, Spielberg made his first short film which was a 26 minute film that caught the attention of the vice president of Universal who ended up signing him to a long term contract deal to be a director, he became the youngest director ever to be signed with a major Hollywood studio. Often when you make decisions based on intuition, the right path will be carved for you.
- KEEP THE FAITH ALIVE!: Spielberg never lost faith in his dreams becoming reality. He even applied to attend the film school at University of Southern California School of Theater, Film and Television two separate times, but was unsuccessful. This would not stop him from doing what he desired to do! He states “I never felt comfortable with myself, because I was never part of the majority. I always felt awkward and shy and on the outside of the momentum of my friends’ lives.”
“I’ve always been very hopeful which I guess isn’t strange coming from me. I don’t want to call myself an optimist. I want to say that I’ve always been full of hope. I’ve never lost that. I have a lot of hope for this country and for the entire world. . .”
– Steven Spielberg
Can’t Get Enough of Spielberg Inspiration, read More on the legendary director:
- Image:(Wikimedia Commons) Steven Spielberg by George Biard
- Image: By Romain DUBOIS (Own work) [CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons