Born: September 08, 1989, Stockholm, Sweden | Successful For: House DJ | Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Inner Keys to Success:
- BE UNIQUE BE DIFFERENT, MORE IMPORTANTLY BE YOU! A one of a kind DJ, Avicii produces his musical melodies from intuition rather than what’s popular. “I don’t really look at the charts at all. If anything, I try to out-do what I’ve done before. I try to make music that I like and I trust my own judgment with what works with a wider audience. If you compare yourself to the charts, you lose perspective on what you’re doing and why you’re doing it.” His hits are a testament to that, with “Wake me up” being a unique house type country track. What Avicii wants is to create music for people to listen to and come to love, but very true to his own liking first and foremost. When realizing his real name for his MySpace page was taken, he claims “I kind of ended up with Avicii, and then I got really attached to it.” He is never one to get caught up in the particulars or musical trends. His countless hours spent as a teen through his screens, synths and keyboards of his home studio have allowed Avicii to DO EXACTLY WHAT HE LOVES- masterfully hone his unique brand of house tunes while the success pours in. He is a young man gifted with an unorthodox ability to create inventive musical genres. The self-taught DJ prefers silence on his time off, is known for wearing his classic Ralph Lauren plaid shirts and most importantly doing things true to who he is.
- SURROUND YOURSELF WITH UPLIFTERS AND MENTORS: “Growing up with older siblings, I’ve also had loads of different influences when it comes to my music taste.” Avicii grew up in an environment which exposed him to all kinds of sounds, from 60s rock to Daft Punk. But Sweedish House Mafia, he claims is what first got him into house music. “I think I am a pretty good judge of character in general and try to surround myself with the best people I can.” Avicii had only been producing for a month or so when his friends were shocked to hear the talent that went into his productions. The encouragement received certainly pushed him to carry on, he was very fortunate but wise to choose them in his life. Avicii has also chosen an impeccable mentor and manager in Ash Pournouri. A visionary and a DJ, both understood they needed each other, and their strengths complemented one another. Ash assisted him with innovative marketing and motivated him to the top. You need go getters on your side who believe in you as much as you believe in them. “Ash is 100% the one with the master plan. After working with him I don’t think I could ever settle for anyone else, and definitely not micromanaging it by myself, I don’t have the competence and vision for that. The best career move I’ve made. I would say Ash is a bit of everything to me, partner brother father and friend. My dad actually refers to him as my second father.”
- FIND THAT WHICH EXCITES YOU, AND TAKE CHANCES: “I’ve learned how to focus on the things I most want to spend my time doing.” Avicii started out by making mixes in his own bedroom at the age of 8. He claims he actually began listening to house music around the time he started making it, and states he got hooked to both listening and producing. He produced a number of mixes, and as a youngster, instead of remixing a song for the Commodore 64 game he decided to make his own version which got tremendous feedback and it ultimately ignited his fuel. “Since I got into producing I’ve just worked my ass off trying to improve, learned basic piano, scales, chords and chord progressions etc.” At 16, he became more serious about his passion and began remixing, recording and producing in his bedroom, which would later be transferred into a small studio. In an interview with GQ, he stated “I love DJing, I do. I love everything that comes with it”. Avicii was instantly fascinated with producing and spent many hours in his home studio creating one fresh tune after the next. His great potential would eventually be noticed by labels, agencies, and producers who found his mixes online. Cleverly using dance music blogs as the platform to launch his career, he was found by Ash who would take him to the next “levels”.
“No. I feel tremendously blessed that I’ve come this far, and had the chance to work with the people I have worked with. I feel lucky that my manager and I found each other and I feel thankful for what he has done for me and am excited to see where all of this is going in the future. There’s a shitload of talented producers that never get to see the light of day, and Ash was there for all the stuff I wasn’t capable of doing myself and helped me develop my sound to where it is today.”
Avicii, though very young, is extremely humble and gives any way he can. His House for Hunger charity and the Avicii X You project show that he’s not just another DJ who drinks, parties and collects cheques, but also cares for the world around him. The House for Hunger was a charity he began with manager and best friend Ash and it was dedicated to alleviating global hunger. Avicii explained, “You have to give something back. I am so fortunate to be in the position where I can actually do that. I feel lucky every day when I wake up and am able to do what I love and make a living.” Avicii also explained in another interview that one of his most memorable and emotional fan experiences when two apparently huge fans of his passed away in the Hurricane Irene. When he later found out they had opened a savings account to have him play for one of their weddings, Avicii decided to do a show in their town and about fifteen of their close friends & family go to go backstage.
“All this time, I was finding myself. I didn’t know I was lost” – Avicii
- Image: (Creative Commons) http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Avicii_@_Inox_Park_Paris_Chatou_2011.jpg
- Image: (Creative Commons) “Avicii @ London tentparty (cropped)” by Shawn Tron – Avicii @ London tentparty. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Avicii_@_London_tentparty_(cropped).jpg#mediaviewer/File:Avicii_@_London_tentparty_(cropped).jpg