Will Smith is an advocate of motivation, personal development, and wisdom when he’s off-screen. Throughout many of his interviews he has preached on the topics of having unbeatable work ethic, having a optimistic mentality, and altering your belief system to work in your favor, to set you up for greatness. Here are 15 quotes that will both motivate, and empower you to live life to its fullest.
1. “Money and success don’t change people; they merely amplify what is already there.”
Simply put, Will Smith states that if you’re a giving person, money will allow you to be more giving. This also apply’s vice versa, if you’re greedy before you make a lot of money, being rich will amplify your greed.
2. “Love is the ultimate theme, but it’s not just for women.”
We’ll explain this quote with a John Lennon quote: “Love is all you need” regardless of your sex, expressing love into the world will only draw that energy back to you, and the things you love.
3. “Throughout life, people will make you mad, disrespect you and treat you bad. Let God deal with the things they do, cause hate in your heart will consume you too.”
Spirituality is literally required to deal with life’s inevitable obstacles. Spirituality whether through religion, a belief in God, energy, or anything that allows you to be detached from difficulties and have faith, will allow you to move past tough times without it taking a toll.
4. “We spend money that we do not have, on things we do not need, to impress people who do not care.”
Drop the ego, money will NOT make you a happier person (or at least anything past a 70k income according to psychology research which is based on allowing people to live comfortably not live “flashy”), what will make you happier, is when you stop comparing yourself to others and do what you love regardless of what others think, and… (read the next quote)
5. “If you’re not making someone else’s life better, than you are wasting your time. Your life will become better by making other people’s lives better.”
Making someone else’s life better is a surefire way to get outside yourself and become a happier person.
6. “The first step is you have to say that you can.”
Optimism is a recurring theme from the mind of Will Smith, nothing was ever successfully created by someone who “believed” he couldn’t do it. Start with “I can.”
7. “The first step before anyone else in the world believes it is you have to believe it.”
The world’s perception will change when you alter your belief system.
8. “Never underestimate the pain of a person, because in all honesty, everyone is struggling. Some people are better at hiding it than others.”
A better way to rephrase this, stop judging people because you don’t know what they’ve been through, regardless of how they seem to act around you.
9. “I want the world to be better because I was here.”
Will Smith states his purpose in this quote, simply he wants to be an inspiration, he wants people to have a better outtake on life.
10. “Don’t chase people. Be yourself, do your own thing and work hard. The right people – the ones who really belong in your life – will come to you. And stay.”
Getting rid of naysayers is often a hard piece of advice for people to follow, but it can be life-changing. Will Smith’s advice is on point instead of going out looking for friends or that perfect relationship, why not express yourself do what you love to do, and you will meet like-minded, and often the right people there.
11. “Stop letting people who do so little for you control so much of your mind, feelings and emotions.”
Once again, getting rid of naysayers, doubters, and people who don’t take interest in you, can be hard but life changing. Toxic people are like a virus.
12. “The separation of talent and skill is one of the greatest misunderstood concepts for people who are trying to excel, who have dreams, who want to do things. Talent you have naturally. Skill is only developed by hours and hours and hours of beating on your craft.”
Immense work ethic practiced on the right thing in the right way for a long time brings about unforgettable skills. Like Often having a passion for what you’re doing helps get through the pain barriers, and dry periods of practicing over, and over, and over again.
13. “Don’t ever let someone tell you that you can’t do something. You got a dream, you gotta protect it. When people can’t do something themselves, they are going to tell you that you can’t do it. You want something, go get it. Period.”
The classic quote, this one you’ve probably seen and heard many times, nonetheless what would a good list of Will Smith quotes be without it. If you want something, go get it, period.
14. “Being realistic is the most commonly traveled road to mediocrity.”
The Wright brothers weren’t being “realistic” when they wanted to create something that could fly people, Walt Disney wasn’t being realistic when he was rejected over and over again when trying to get financing for his over-the-top idea of a Walt Disney Theme Park. But guess what? These are some of the biggest accomplishments the world has ever seen (Yes even Disney’s theme park, bringing laughter and good times to millions of kids is quite an accomplishment).
15. “Where I excel is ridiculous, sickening, work ethic. You know, while the other guy’s sleeping? I’m working.”
Once again, Will Smith is explaining the cold, hard truth that nothing great was created without crazy work ethic. This does not mean working intensely on something you have no purpose for, it’s working on a dream you have to turn that dream to reality, doing whatever it takes.
16. “I don’t know what my calling is, but I want to be here for a bigger reason. I strive to be like the greatest people who have ever lived.”
Last of all, this quote sums of Mr. Smith’s belief system, that he believes he can be like the greatest people that ever lived, and as a result his actions followed allowing him to become one of the most inspirational actors of all time.