Born: February 7, 1963 New York, US | Successful For: NBA Legend, Entrepreneur | Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
“Obstacles don’t have to stop. If you run into a wall, don’t turn around and give up. Find out how to climb it, go through it or work around it.”
– Quote by Michael Jordan
Inner Keys to Success:
- FIND THAT COMPETITIVE EDGE WITHIN YOURSELF: MJ would first learn of his competitive mind frame playing basketball in the streets of North Carolina where he would lose to his older brother. This competitive edge grew and it pushed him to get better. Soon after, he got cut from his high school team which added to his incomparable determination to practice hard day in and day out. The sweat on Jordan’s forehead was achieved by his single minded dedication to excellence. No one can deny that he passionately gave us every drop of sweat he had due to his fierce competitive edge. Jordan’s father once noted “What he does have is a competition problem. He was born with that … the person he tries to outdo most of the time is himself.”
- NEVER EVER GIVE UP: The greatest player to play the game failed throughout his career from high school to the first time he got to the NBA playoffs where his Bulls were knocked out in the first round. The next two years, they were swept by the Celtics. After that, the Detroit Pistons would defeat them three years in a row, but thanks to his ability to never surrender or give up, Jordan would eventually win “his” trophy. The wise one once said “Everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying.” Jordan clearly used his failures to make himself work that much harder instead of the easy route of giving up.
- LIVE IN THE CURRENT, IN THE PRESENT, IN THE NOW: Jordan has the ability to be in the present moment. He would never pay any attention to last year’s championships; instead he would keep his mind on the current game. His success did not just accumulate from his extreme competitiveness, but also in his ability to frequently enter the flow state, or to be “in the zone.” He was so in the zone that nothing and nobody could stand in his way, it was just him, the basketball, and the game he loved. Not only on but off the court too. Being indulged in the game and then shifting his attention with the business side of the sport whether it was acting in Space Jam or showcasing the new Air Jordan’s for Nike.
“I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.” – Michael Jordan
Little Known Success Fact:
Michael Jordan is rightfully consider the greatest man to ever play play the game of basketball as he won an outstanding 6 NBA championships. Just to top that, he won 3 back to back to back in a row, twice in his career. Not only a point getter, but Jordan was extremely versatile. A quick learner who became an amazing defensive player, played shooting guard and small forward, won dunk competitions, nailed 3 pointers and even played a season in the MLB. When your good at one thing, you can become good at anything you want.
Even after retirement, he is still a huge role model for young players as he left a huge footprint on the game. He was one of the first and most marketed players in any sport and was one of the main contributors in popularizing the NBA around the world. Aside from basketball, Jordan has endorsed and succeeded with creating his own clothing line, “Air Jordan” of course, as well as many other products and owning the Bobcats, establishing himself as also a businessman.
“You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them.” – Michael Jordan
Learn more about #23 from his best selling books, not just the best basketball player ever, but one of the wisest too! :
- Image:(Creative Commons) Diegoestefano97 http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Michael-jordan.jpg
- Image: (Creative Commons) “Michael Jordan” by Joshua Massel. https://www.flickr.com/photos/stjohnsu/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Jordan#mediaviewer/File:Michael_Jordan.jpg