Born: July 24, 1969, New York, US | Successful For: Singer, Actress | Zodiac Sign: Leo
“Beauty is only skin deep. I think what’s really important is finding a balance of mind, body and spirit”
– Jennifer Lopez
Inner Keys to Success:
- DEFINITENESS OF PURPOSE: You don’t need to necessarily know how you’re going to get there, but you need to know what it is you want. At a young age in J.Lo’s life, she KNEW that she wanted to entertain and be a versatile superstar. It got clearer when she acted in a small role in a high school film: “I just knew that was what I wanted to do. I was going to perform as a singer; I was going to perform as a dancer, and I was, you know, going to do movies and be an actress. I was going to do it or die trying. That’s what my life was.” The clearer one is with their goals, the stronger the attracting forces of it happening. “Doubt is a killer. You just have to know who you are and what you stand for.”
- LET NOTHING OR NO ONE GET IN YOUR WAY: J.Lo left home at just 18 because her mother did not approve of her decision to pursue a career in show business. She was a very confident woman who applied the important principle “just do it”, and she did it alright! Jennifer Lopez is a very instinctive individual who listens to her gut feeling. Not always an easy thing, but if you can, it surely will lead you down the right path, as it did for J.Lo. Her parents told her that becoming a movie star was a “really stupid” idea and that “no Latinos did that”, she ignored them and moved out on her own to pursue her heart’s desire. “I only do what my gut tells me to. I think it’s smart to listen to other people’s advice, but at the end of the day, you’re the only one who can tell you what’s right for you.” She pushed against what her parents believed, which was that being an entertainer was unrealistic for a Hispanic.“My parents wanted me to be a lawyer. But I don’t think I would have been very happy. I’d be in front of the jury singing.” She courageously declined back up dancing for a Janet Jackson tour to pursue what she stated “do her own thing”. Bold statement.
- KEEP EVOLVING, KEEP LEARNING, KEEP GROWING: Persistence pays off, and through years of trials and tribulations, it paid off huge for JLO too. She learned, practiced and kept pushing the envelope further throughout her journey. Lopez was enrolled in singing/dancing lessons at the age of 5, and even took part in gymnastics. Lopez worked with Rosie Perez in “In Living Color”, and was a backup for New Kids On The Block and the legend, Janet Jackson. She did whatever it took from doing the chorus in a musical in Europe, then moving to Japan where she danced, sang and did choreography. She understood that improving oneself is a key to success, saying “You get what you give, What you put into things is what you get out of them.”
“Don’t push your weaknesses, play with your strengths”
– Jennifer Lopez
Little Known Success Fact:
When Jennifer Lopez is not busy in the entertainment industry, or in her side businesses, she is focused on spreading the word of human rights as an activist. She has participated in helping over 18 charities in major ways including building a bilingual website that raises awareness about Mexican femicide, her inspiration came after learning that 350 young women were killed in Ciudad Juarez and Chihuahua since 1993.
“Doubt is a killer. You just have to know who you are and what you stand for” – Jennifer Lopez
Inspiring Books On Jennifer Lopez:
- Image: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dellphotos/3385404270/
- Image: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e4/Jennifer_Lopez_GLAAD_2014.jpg